Meaning Of Tajweed
What is Tajweed (التَّجْوِيدُ) ?.
Note: Some people pronounce it as ‘Tejweed’ while some call it ‘Tajweed’.
Tajweed can be defined in two ways:
- Literarily (لُغَةََ)
- Technically (ٱصْطِلَاحًا)
The following meaning can be given to Tajweed literarily:
- To perfect something (ُٱلْإِتْقَان)
- To beautify something (ٱلتَّزْيِينُ)
- To correct something (ٱلتَّحْسِينُ)
It means to do something very well or to do thing in a correct way and manner.
The basic technical arabic definition of Tajweed is given below:
اؐلتَّجْوِيدُ هُوَ كَيْفِيَّةُ إِعْطَاعِ الْحُرُوفِ الْهِجَائِيَّةِ حَقَّهَا وَمُسْتَحَقَّهَاIt is the way of giving Arabic letters their right and what they deserve.
It is the set of rules and principles guiding the correct ways of reading and pronouncing the letters and words of Al-quran.
Reason To Learn Tajweed
The are many reasons for you to learn the principles of Tajweed. Some of the benefit are:
- To be able to read the Holy Quran exactly as it was revealed to the prophet (saw).
- To protect oneself from mistakes while reading the Quranic words.
- To prevent wrong pronunciation of letters while speaking Arabic Language.
- It makes it easy for beginners to easily identify and pronounce Arabic letters in-between words.
Virtues of learning Tajweed
There are some references that was reported on the virtues and benefits of Reading Quran with Tajweed, we are bringing them below.
وَقَالَ تَعَالي: (قُلْ نَزَّلَهُ رُوحُ الْقُدُسِ مِنْ رَّبِكَ بِالْحَقِّ لِيُثَبِّتَ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَهُدًي وَّبُشْرَي لِلْمُسْلِمِينَ۞).(النحل:١٠٢)
Allah Subhanahu wa Ta’ala said to His Prophet Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam: Say: The Holy Spirit (Jibrail) has revealed it from Your Sustainer with truth, that it may give firmness to those who believe, and as guidance and good tidings for those who have submitted (to Allah).[An-Nahl 16:102]
– عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَؓ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ ﷺ: مَا أَذِنَ اللهُ لِشَيْءٍ مَا أَذِنَ لِنَبِيٍّ حَسَنِ الصَّوْتِ يَتَغَنَّي بِالْقُرْآنِرواه مسلم باب استحباب تحسين الصوت بالقرآن رقم:١٨٤٥
Abu Hurairah Radiyallahu ‘anhu narrates that Rasullullah Sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam said: Allah never pays so much attention to anything as He pays to the voice of a Prophet reciting the Qur’an in a sweet tone.(Muslim)